Monica Dennington posted a video on youtube calling Calvinists to repent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWteNd_NxvQ&feature=fvsr). Seeing that I am a Calvinist I thought I would respond.
It is difficult to respond to this because her errors are so many. I’m not sure where to start with the ocean of ignorance that is her video.
1. Problem is that she frames the debate with a false choice. She says that her position is biblical and the other position is Calvinism. So here is the choice she gives. Bible or Calvinism. However, I could just as easily frame the debate the other way. I could say that my position is biblical and her’s is Arminian; therefore, she needs to repent. The real issue is what system is biblical Calvinism or Arminianism.
Now, I understand her on wanting to shake off titles and just say we are biblical. However, the problem is that Christians do not agree on what is biblical. Labeles are used to identify what one believes about the Bible. Calvinism happens to be one of those labels. To pretend that Monica’s collection of beliefs could not be labeled is ignorant.
2. She claims that Calvinists look to Calvin and not to Jesus. Well this is a surprise to Calvinists. I do not know a single Calvinist who puts Calvin in the same league as Jesus. We judge both Calvin and Calvinistic thought by God’s Word. We hold to Jesus! We believe that the collection of thought that is known as Calvinism is the most consistent form of Christianity. Who cares what you call it.
3. She says that Calvinist call other people stupid or we come down on “lowly” people who are not Calvinistic. Sadly this is sometimes true. Some Calvinists have a tendency to be prideful. However, so do some Arminians. Calvinism is not to be judged by its people but by how faithful the doctrines are to scripture.
However, this argument can be reversed. Monica is looking at us as “lowly” and stupid. Who does she think she is?
4. She says that Jesus did not contend over doctrine. Has he read Mathew 23?
5. She says not to be contentious, that Calvinists are contentious. However, the whole video was very contentious.
See my video response here http://www.youtube.com/user/nextluther12?feature=mhum